What is Applications Engineering?
The job description of an applications engineer can vary depending on the chosen industry. Generally, this type of engineer takes care of the implementation and design of computer programs or specialist industry equipment in most cases. The primary role of this engineer is to build and test as well as design these products based on the clients’ needs.
Essential Applications Engineer Qualifications/Skills
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to be able to deal with complex projects
- A degree in software engineering or computer science
What is Architectural Engineering?
Architectural engineering is the design and the application of engineering principles in the development of buildings and structures. The architectural engineer has expertise in physics, mathematics and of course, engineering. The primary job of this engineer is to orchestrate the construction of the building, as well as its structural integrity and electrical systems.
Essential Architectural Engineer Qualifications/Skills
- Qualifications in a physics or mathematics-related subject
- The ability to work in teams, as well as being able to utilise extensive engineering knowledge
What is Automotive Engineering?
Automotive engineering is the process of the design, production and operation of vehicles such as cars, trucks, buses and other ground-based vehicles. From the early stages of design to the production, an automotive engineer oversees all aspects of the product design lifecycle of a vehicle.
Essential Automotive Engineering Qualifications/Skills
- A degree in either mechanical, automotive, electrical or production and manufacturing engineering
- The ability to analyse and interpret data, have a unique approach to problem solving, along with the ability to be able to prioritise workloads and stick to tight deadlines
Building Services Engineering?
What is Building Services Engineering?
Being a building services engineer involves a number of tasks depending on which area of work it is, but it generally involves the development of the internal functions of a building, such as the power, health and safety, security and heating. The engineer negotiates contracts for the project as well as organising the work of the contractors involved.
Essential Building Services Engineer Qualifications/Skills
- Qualifications in public health, mechanical engineering or electrical engineering
- Being able to negotiate and develop contracts for projects with clients and managing and forecasting expenditure, keeping the project to budget are all highly desirable skills in this sector
What is Chemical Engineering?
Chemical engineering is the development and experimentation of machines and plants, which lead to chemical reactions in order to create valuable products and solve everyday problems. Many industries such as pharmaceutical, energy and water treatment facilities harness chemical engineering.
Essential Chemical Engineering Qualifications/Skills
- An accredited BEng degree in chemical engineering or process engineering
- The ability to manage budgets, time, projects and people
What is Civil Engineering?
Civil engineering is the design of structures such as bridges, tunnels, car parks, train stations or railways. There are two types of civil engineer jobs – consulting and contracting. A consulting civil engineer is responsible for the communication of the plan between the client and contracting engineers. The contracting engineers take the plans from the consulting engineer and begin physical development of the project.
Essential Civil Engineering Qualifications/Skills
- A degree or postgraduate master’s degree in civil engineering
- Strong maths and IT skills as well as being able to articulate design ideas
What is Commercial Engineering?
Commercial engineering involves the creation of landmark buildings but is generally a broad role which covers a range of engineers who have extensive knowledge, not only for the practical applications of engineering, but also the needs of businesses and prospective customers.